Current user: Guest

Cowlitz County Fire Dist 6
146 A Street SW
PO Box 205
Castle Rock, WA  98611

Complete Contact Information

Open Burning Regulations

An annual Seasonal Burn Ban is in place from July 15th through September 30th each year. During this time, all open burn permits will be rescinded

As of January 1, 2007 Castle Rock and surrounding urban growth areas will become no burn areas with the exception of recreational fires under 3'x3'x2' (no lumber, yard debris or garbage). Land clearing burning will be prohibited in all areas of the state with a population density of more than 1,000 people per square mile as of January 1, 2007. For more information, call SWCAA at 1-800-633-0709.
    Quick Links

Urban Growth
  Area Map

  Burn Permit

Campfire Facts
  & Safety

The burning of natural vegetation which is grown on residential private property is allowed in the Cowlitz County Fire District 6 subject to the following conditions and restrictions. Violation of the following conditions and restrictions may result in civil and/or criminal penalties.

All of the following information is from Southwest Clear Air Agency Burning Information

WAC 173-425 bans the use of a burn barrel and prohibits the burning of all material, except natural vegetation grown on the property and firewood (see brochure for burn area and pile size restrictions). This regulation also prohibits burning during periods of impaired air quality and prohibits outdoor burning from becoming a nuisance to surrounding neighbors and businesses. Fire safety burn-bans may also be called by county or local fire protection authorities.

Burn Barrels
The use of a burn barrel was banned in the State of Washington effective April 13, 2000. Burning garbage has been illegal in the State of Washington since 1967.

Recreational fires
Recreational fires under 3'x3'x2' are still allowed in all of Cowlitz County without a permit. Only charcoal or seasoned firewood (no lumber) may be used as fuel for a recreational fire. Recreational fires must be used solely for recreational purposes and may not be used for disposal of yard debris or any other material. Recreational fires may not cause a smoke or odor nuisance to surrounding properties and are subject to burn bans. Recreational fires larger than 3'x3'x2' inside no burn areas need a written permit from the Southwest Clean Air Agency (SWCAA).

Residential Burning (Outside the no-burn boundaries)
As of January 1, 2007 residential burning will no longer be allowed in the urban growth areas of Castle Rock and Woodland. Residential burning is already banned within the Longview/Kelso No Burn Area. Outside of these areas, single piles under 4'x4'x3' do not need a permit to burn during daylight hours (natural vegetation only). For a list of general requirements or to determine if you are outside of the no burn areas, call SWCAA at 1-800-633-0709.

Piles larger than 4'x4'x3' but smaller than 10'x10'x6' outside the no burn areas need a written permit. These free permits can be picked up at local fire stations or download a copy here. All burn permits are rescinded during the countywide burn ban July 15th through September 30th.

Land Clearing Burning (Outside the no-burn boundaries)
Prior to January 1, 2007, land clearing burning is only allowed outside the Longview/Kelso no burn area. As of January 1, 2007 land clearing burning will also be banned within the urban growth areas of Castle Rock and Woodland, and all other high density areas.

Outside the no burn areas, burn piles larger than 10'x10'x6' require a land clearing burn permit from SWCAA. The burn permit application downloaded, printed out and then mailed, faxed or hand-delivered to SWCAA. A site visit is no longer required so a permit can be issued same day with a visit to SWCAA's office in Vancouver. The permit fee of $100 must be paid to SWCAA prior to issuance of the permit.

Agricultural Burning
To qualify for agricultural burning inside the no-burn boundaries you must have filed a "Schedule F" with your federal income tax. Orchard prunings alone do not qualify for an agricultural burn and other restrictions apply (WAC 173-430). Call SWCAA for detailed information, forms and possible fees. For more information about this program, click here.

Silvicultural Burning
For all silvicultural/forest practice burning call the Pacific Cascades Region of the Department of Natural Resources at 360-577-2025. There is a permit fee.
News Headlines

Fire Danger
Status currently unavailable from Washington State DNR

Status updated 3 times daily from WADNR
Updated: 24-April-2014 1800hrs

© Copyright 1999-2014 - Cowlitz County Fire District 6
Site optimized for 1024x768 resolution